Fun Facts about Bees!
- Honey bees have five eyes.
- Bees have been producing honey for at least 150 million years.
- A queen is the largest bee in the hive. She can lay up to 2,000 eggs per day.
- Bees must visit approximately 2 million flowers to make 1 lb. of honey.
- Bees have to fly over 55,000 miles to make 1 lb. of honey.
- On average a worker bee will make 1/12 teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
- Two tablespoons of honey would fuel a honey bee flying once around the world.
- Honey bees will visit between 50-100 flowers during one nectar collection trip.
Bees have Personalities!?!
Did you know bees have personalities? Some are harder workers than others, some are a bit lazy, but they are all able to solve problems as a group with their communication repertoire. One inspiring bee scientist, Marla Spivak, just won a MacArthur grant for half a million dollars! She found a way to breed bees that can get rid of larva that are infected so they won’t hurt the whole hive. We sent her a Buzzy for her desktop bee collection.
For general bee-keeping information and a lot of information about bees themselves, check out Bees-On-The-Netwww.bees-on-the-net.com for lots of cool pictures on weird bee stuff.
Colour me in…