What is Buzzy?
BUZZY is a small vibrating bee with blue ice-pack wings. He helps block sharp pain and provides distraction when giving injections to children.
Buzzy confuses your body’s own nerves and distracts attention away from the pain, thereby dulling or eliminating sharp injection pain. In the same way that rubbing a bumped elbow helps, or cool running water soothes a burn.
BUZZY was invented by a mother and doctor to help her children overcome their fear of needles. A cooling pad is placed behind Buzzy, and Buzzy is placed between the brain and the pain (usually on arms or legs). Turn Buzzy on and leave him in place during the procedure. Children’s attention is taken away from the needle and pain and focused on the cool, vibrating buzzy bee. It works a treat!
There are lots of additional distraction tools to go with BUZZY and replacements and spares too, all available on our website.
“It is always so stressful when I take my daughter to get her immunisations, but today we had a totally different experience. The nurse used Buzzy and my daughter was so distracted she didn’t even notice the needle going in! What a brilliant product. Thanks so much.” Mum of Ella aged 5
When can BUZZY be used?
How to use BUZZY
- 1. Allow your child some time to hold Buzzy and experience how he feels when the vibration is activated.
- 2. Blue Ice Wings: The blue ice wings must be frozen solid for best effect. For long procedures, have a second set ready.
- 3. Disposable White Ice Wings: Add 3 tsp (15ml) tap water to the soft side before placing in freezer. During use, face either soft (less cold) or smooth (colder) side to skin.
- Note: To transport, place the wings included the Cold-to-go bag or between 2 cold packs to maintain frozen temperature.
Directions for Use for Immunisation Shot
Directions for Using Buzzy with other medical procedures
- 1. Use Buzzy only on clean unbroken skin.
- 2. Immediately before use, remove the cold pack Ice Wings from the freezer and place behind Buzzy under the elastic band.
- 3. Attach the velcro strap to Buzzy through the gap.
- 4. Place Buzzy between the pain and the brain during the procedure. Buzzy will interrupt the sharp pain sensations going to the brain.
- 5. Activate vibration with the switch.
- 6. Leave in place for 30 seconds prior to the procedure.
- 7. Leave Buzzy vibrating throughout the procedure.
- 8. During the procedure use a distraction aid (eg bee-straction cards or poster) if you wish.
Once the shot/procedure is done, you can turn off Buzzy and put him away for next time!
What are Bee-Stractors?
Bee-Stractors are 5 cards on a ring with related counting and finding questions on the back. How many stars do you see? Which two cows are the same? Bee-stractors are a quick and handy way for nurses, teachers, doctors or parents to take the mind off a painful procedure.
The cards can be placed in a slot in Buzzy to block the view of the needle or they can be held by the child, which ever works best for you.